The Gateway Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist (1693 - 1699)



The Church of the Nativity
of St. John the Baptist.
View from the west.
The Church was constructed with funds of "distinguished people" Stroganovs. It displays the characteristic features of "Stroganov buildings" in intricate details and free treatment of classical forms. The lower part is cut by a gate arch. On both sides of the arch are staircases leading to the upper part with the cube of the Church surrounded by a gallery.